Supported housing

What is supported housing?

Supported housing is accommodation provided for people aged 45 plus in self-contained flats with the following benefits to assist an independent life:

  • A Home Support Officer to visit once a month (an additional fee is payable for this service).

  • A 24hr emergency community alarm system in each flat.

  • Night time emergencies dealt with by a local Care Centre.

  • Greater levels of assistance can be provided on a short term basis, for example, if you are ill and need an emergency prescription..

  • Use of communal areas and social activities including those at sheltered accommodation schemes.

If you are interested in residential or nursing home care, please see the Surrey County Council website.

Back to top

Who can be considered?

Individuals with a particular medical or social need, age 45 plus.

Back to top

Who are the Home Support Officers and what help can they provide?

Home Support Officers provide a support service to tenants of sheltered and supported accommodation from 8am to 7pm, seven days a week. An additional fee is payable for this service. They will:

  • Complete a support plan with individuals as they take up their tenancy, to ensure their independence is maintained. Support plans are reviewed annually or more frequently as required.

  • Check on the health and well being of tenants on a regular basis.

  • Access other services for tenants (e.g. District Nurses, GPs and Social Services Home Care packages).

  • Offer short-term support to tenants who are unwell (e.g. provide a hot drink, prepare a snack meal or collect a prescription).

  • Report repairs where someone needs help to do this.

  • Help in completing forms.

  • Help organise social events at schemes, such as lunches, parties, coffee mornings, quizzes and bingo.

Back to top

What services are Home Support Officers not able to provide?

Home Support Officers cannot provide help with the following:

  • Personal care (e.g. help with washing and dressing).

  • Long term assistance, although staff can provide help when people are ill for a short time. Other support, e.g. "Home Care" will be required if more permanent care is required.

  • Lift anyone should they fall.

  • Handle a tenants financial affairs.

  • Administer drugs or medication of any kind.

Back to top

Where are the supported housing schemes in Woking?

There are several schemes in Byfleet and Woking including:

  • Bunyard Drive, Sheerwater

  • Shires House, Byfleet

  • Cobbetts Close, Lakeview.

Back to top

Can I have family and friends to stay?

Yes, we have a number of en-suite guest rooms at some of our sheltered housing schemes that are available to the friends and relatives of anyone living in one of our supported or sheltered housing schemes.

Back to top

Contact us

If you require more information about one of these schemes or would like to apply to register for accommodation, please contact Home Support on:

Also in Housing for older people